The Owenstown Co-operative Society has been established and, with the appointment of an acting chairman, will co-ordinate the registration of the Co-op as a charity, public engagement on the proposals, and the preparation of the planning application.
While the proposals are clearly formulated and deliverable, Owenstown as a town capable of delivering sustained economic growth to Rural South Lanarkshire, remains a concept.
The next steps are clearly defined:
- Public engagement, commencing with the public launch in the Robert Owen Room at the New Lanark Mill Hotel from 1st to 3rd September 2009, to secure community support and identify suitable partners to make Owenstown a reality;
- Confirm Technical Feasibility, through technical and environmental studies;
- Secure Planning Permission;
- Land transfer to Co-op from Hometown Foundation and finalisation of investment in accord with the Outline Business Plan;
- Commence building of the new town.
These are only the first stages in this process.